Code of Conducts
The following are the fair play codes that Surrey Minor Hockey Association subscribes to.
Fair Play Code for Parents
- I will not force my child to participate in hockey.
- I will remember that my child plays hockey for his or her enjoyment, not for mine.
- I will encourage my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
- I will teach my child that doing one’s best is as important as winning, so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of a game.
- I will make my child feel like a winner every time by offering praise for competing fairly and trying hard.
- I will never ridicule or yell at my child for making a mistake or losing a game.
- I will remember that children learn best by example. I will applaud good plays/performances by both my child’s team and their opponents.
- I will never question the officials’ judgment or honesty in public.
- I will support all efforts to remove verbal and physical abuse from children’s hockey games.
- I will respect and show appreciation for the volunteer Coaches and administrators who give their time to coach and provide hockey for my child.
Fair Play Code for Spectators
- I will remember that participants play hockey for their enjoyment. They are not playing to entertain me.
- I will not have unrealistic expectations. I will remember that players are not professionals and cannot be judged by professional standards.
- I will respect the officials’ decisions and I will encourage participants to do the same.
- I will never ridicule a player for making a mistake during a game. I will give positive comments that motivate and encourage continued effort.
- I will condemn the use of violence in any form and will express my disapproval in an appropriate manner to coaches and league officials.
- I will show respect for my team’s opponents, because without them there would be no game.
- I will not use bad language, nor will I harass players, coaches, officials or other spectators.
Fair Play Code for Coaches
- I will be reasonable when scheduling games and practices, remembering that players have other interests and obligations.
- I will teach my players to play fairly and to respect the rules, officials and opponents.
- I will ensure that all players get equal instruction, support and playing time.
- I will not ridicule or yell at my players for making mistakes or for performing poorly.I will remember that players play to have fun and must be encouraged to have confidence in themselves.
- I will make sure that equipment and facilities are safe and match the players’ ages and abilities.
- I will remember that participants need a coach they can respect. I will be generous with praise and set a good example.
- I will obtain proper training and continue to upgrade my coaching skills.
- I will work in cooperation with officials for the benefit of the game.
Fair Play Code for Players
- I will play hockey because I want to, not just because others or coaches want me to.
- I will play by the rules of hockey, and in the spirit of the game.
- I will control my temper – fighting and “mouthing off” can spoil the activity for everybody.
- I will respect my opponents.
- I will do my best to be a true team player.
- I will remember that winning isn’t everything – that having fun, improving skills, making friends and doing my best are also important.
- I will acknowledge all good plays/performances – those of my team and of my opponents.
- I will remember that coaches and officials are there to help me. I will accept their decisions and show them respect.
Fair Play Code for Officials
- I will make sure that every player has a reasonable opportunity to perform to the best of his or her ability, within the limits of the rules.
- I will avoid or put an end to any situation that threatens the safety of the players.
- I will maintain a healthy atmosphere and environment for competition.
- I will not permit the intimidation of any player either by word or by action. I will not tolerate unacceptable conduct toward myself, other officials, players or spectators.
- I will be consistent and objective in calling all infractions, regardless of my personal feelings toward a team or individual player.
- I will handle all conflicts firmly but with dignity.
- I accept my role as a teacher and role model for fair play, especially with young participants.
- I will be open to discussion and contact with the players before and after the game.
- I will remain open to constructive criticism and show respect and consideration for different points of view.
- I will obtain proper training and continue to upgrade my officiating skills.
- I will work in cooperation with coaches for the benefit of the game.
Fair Play Code for League Organizers
- I will do my best to see that all players are given the same chance to participate, regardless of gender, ability, ethnic background or race.
- I will absolutely discourage, any sport program from becoming primarily an entertainment for the spectator.
- I will make sure that all equipment and facilities are safe and match the athletes’ ages and abilities.
- I will make sure that the age and maturing level of the participants are considered in program development, rule enforcement and scheduling.
- I will remember that play is done for its own sake and make sure that winning is kept in proper perspective.
- I will distribute the fair play codes to spectators, coaches, athletes, officials, parents and media.
- I will make sure that coaches and officials are capable of promoting fair play as well as the development of good technical skills and I will encourage them to become certified.